Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

50thVert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
St. Louis, MO
In light of the unnecessary shrinking of the iPod mini into the nano, i cant help but wonder if we will see an ultralight Powerbook Nano.

I have been in LOVE with the Sony X505 for some time now. less than half an inch thick, 1.3lbs, CF/magnesium case and still totally useable.
x505.jpg

Do any of you think Apple could/will make an ultralight laptop now that they have access to very energy and heat-efficient Pentium-M CPUs?

Id love to see a PB Nano with the following specs:
10-11" widescreen XBRITE LCD
under 2.6 lbs
Airport Xtreme/BT 2.0
USB and FW400
40/60GB HD
less than .5" thick

I dont know if they could fit the slot-loading drive in, but for a superlight, screw it. I know dell has a port-powered external DVD setup for their X1, so maybe Apple could do the same thing with a FW400/800 port?

What are your thoughts about a Apple PB Nano?
-Zach

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
i think the apple heads will be worrying now about where the powerbooks are headed with the upcoming intels.

I love the size of my powerbook. i'd never buy a laptop without ports, and you couldnt get thinner than an ethernet port...

give it 5 years.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I don't see what everyone sees in 'xbrite' screens. Personally I hate them. It seems that all it is, is a plastic coat that adds glare. I also think that apple shouldn't make their PB any smaller. 1" thick is fine with me; all they should to now is make it a Powerbook, seriously. Small-ultra-thin laptops aren't good at anything in particular.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
There's potentially a big market for these things if they play it right. With the death of the PDA people want small laptops. When the 12" had reasonable processing power it sold well.

We had this discussion of an ibook mini a while ago an that made sense then but the Intel announcement has been made since then and the low power x86 chips that intel can do (and they promise better) seem ideal for this.

Personally i'm holding out for an intel powered 13.3 inch WS powerbook with a 2.2Ghz Yonah to replace my 12". Not an unlikely product to happen I don't think.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
emotion said:
There's potentially a big market for these things if they play it right. With the death of the PDA people want small laptops. When the 12" had reasonable processing power it sold well...

I'm sorry, but I don't follow this logic at all, and I'd like to see some research that suggests this is true. The idea that the PDA is dying, and that people want to replace it with something BIGGER and less mobile doesn't make any sense to me. The PDA is dying because you can get an awful lot of their functionality in cell phones these days, and carrying around another redundant device just doesn't make sense, let alone the fact that you could keep your PDA in your (very big) pocket. Even a mini laptop would require it's own "purse," and, in my opinion, has little value over a larger, more powerful notebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.